Skip to main content

Hermitage Saint Gregory

Hermitage Saint Gregory

Baroque, 18th century

In 1779, the farmers of Vinaròs, faithful to the vow they had made to Saint Gregory, built the chapel in his honour for having freed them from a plague of locusts. The local monk and architect P. Gonell built this hermitage one kilometre away from the town.

The chapel is on the main floor and the body of the temple is a Greek cross. The major altarpiece, created by J.B. Nicolás, has the representation of Saint Anthony the Great, with the entirety crowned, as well as those of Saints Abdon and Sennen on the sides and Saint Gregory in the central niche.

The two side altarpieces are painted al fresco-style dedicated to Saints Rita of Cascia and Nicholas of Tolentino, which date back to 1799, the same as the rest of the pictorial decoration of the interior. Be sure to observe the cupola supported on the shells of the presbytery and the pictorial decoration of the entire ensemble.